If you are interested in a Retrofit Options report for your own house then consultancy would probably suit you better than buying the REALcosting software. Consultancy gives you not only the calculations but the expertise of a Retrofit Coordinator, Passivhaus Designer and Chartered Architectural Technologist.
Integrated solutions and risk management
Moisture risks are the biggest technical complication with retrofits, particularly with internal insulation and traditional buildings. They can be managed and in many cases almost completely eliminated with good design. Thermal bridges can be reduced or avoided around windows and other junctions. If ignored however, they can lead to condensation, mould and rot which can be a health risk. Choosing safe constructions and materials requires expertise.
REALcosting has a library of thermal bridges and we also calculate modifications using THERM. This can make a significant difference because they contribute to the estimate of heating savings. Tim has done over 70 thermal bridge calculations, his work has been checked and he has also had his calculations tested.
Stack up multiple benefits
The obvious benefit is comfort, the home will be easier to heat and you could have it warmer. There are others too which may slightly change your approach or how much money you are prepared to put aside for it:
● save energy and protect yourself from future price rises
● reduce fossil fuel impact on the environment
● make use of grants that may be available in your area
● combine with necessary repairs
● improve the appearance
● make your home more healthy by making it warmer, with better air quality and eliminating mould
● make it quieter, triple glazing reduces road, train or aircraft noise
● retrofits are free or cheaper than the existing house when these co-benefits included
Reviewing your options
Many home owners, when interviewed about the retrofit afterwards, would have done it slightly differently. Tim Martel filmed interviews with home owners who had retrofitted for Transition Stroud in May 2017. You may be eager to start and keen to save every penny, the best way to do that is to plan ahead with expert help.